2010-04-02

Gandhi

Gandhi (Richard Attenborough, 1982)


It's been a while since I've wanted to see Gandhi. I heard a little about him at University and thought the man did something pretty huge. He liberated India from Great Britain pratically by himself! This is the second time I encounter a film made by Richard Attenborough, the first one was A Bridge Too Far. Which I thought was good but not great. I had high expectations for Gandhi because of the many Oscars it won and the position on the Top 250 Films on IMDb. Well I must stop reading user reviews because everytime I get angry.

Like many biopics, Gandhi opens with the death its subject. The story retells by episodic scenes the major events of the life of Gandhi.

The directing like the film itself is very sober and simple, this fit well with the description of the life of Gandhi: he was a simple man. The film didn't impressed me very much and I must say that I'm a little disappointed while impressed by the life of Gandhi. A major positive aspect of this film is how it made me read about Gandhi and his achievements. When you see the film and realize what he has done in a single lifetime it's impressive! But the film didn't got very far and seems like a compilation of archives on Gandhi telling his good shots...

Not what I expected and not in a good way...

A Film Retrospective by Michaël Parent


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...