2011-12-07

Mea Culpa or the review that should have been

As the final day of the Seven Days of Nouvelle vague I was supposed to review Jacques Rivette’s Céline et Julie vont en bateau aka Celine and Julie go Boating. But time got me and I wasn’t able to watch the film in entirely and afterwards to review it. It might seems a little disorganize to postpone this review but I didn’t wanted to write something I wasn’t fully satisfied about and watch a film in fragments. However, I swear to watch it entirely soon and to fully review it. I was very excited about this film that has a cult or a special glow around it being regarded by many as Rivette’s better work. It was his first film I’d seen, one of the many directors I hears and read much about without ever seeing one film!

This list of directors I’ve read lots about but haven’t seen even one film is a thing that I wanted to make for a long time now. But since I’ve seen some of those this year (Peter Bogdanovich, Agnes Varda, Georges Franju, Claire Denis, Joon-Ho Bong, Michael Winterbottom, Gillo Pontecorvo, John Cassavetes, Jean-Pierre Melville) I think it is time to put it down on paper and give it a serious try in 2012 to discover those holes in my cinephile knowledge. It goes like that: (no particular order just my inspiration)

Jacques Rivette
Claude Chabrol
Bela Tarr
King Vidor
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Raoul Walsh
Joseph Losey
Theo Angelopoulos
Claude Autant-Lara
Jules Dassin
Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Chantal Akerman
Glauber Rocha
Edward Yang
Mikio Naruse
Victor Erice
Michael Snow
Ritwik Ghatak
Nagisa Oshima
Jean Eustache
Claude Lanzmann
Sam Wood
Ermanno Olmi
Franscesco Rosi
Robert Mulligan
Ousmane Sembene
Shohei Imamura
Emir Kusturica
Luis Garcia Berlanga
Manoel de Oliviera
Charles Burnett
Jacques Becker
Robert Hamer
Sergei Parajanov
Well, many foreign film directors! Each year my goal is to see more films from a multitude of different countries and languages. Do you have any recommandations?

3 comments:

  1. I was intending to have a review of Rivette's L'AMOUR FOU ready for this, but I haven't had a day where I could set aside the time (4+ hours) to watch it. I hate stopping and starting films when I watch them for the first time.

    Also I see quite a few names on that list that I haven't seen yet as well. Hopefully we will both make a dent in that list in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how it is hard to make time to watch movies... Since my day job takes much of my time I found it hard to get into a movie.

    We could do some kind of marathon together and dig into those most obscure filmmakers... Let's hope for the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...