It was probably the first director name I ever noticed when I was a kid and it was way before I become a director worshiper. My relation with Spielberg has many highs and many lows. Let me explain myself here, I love his talent as a storyteller and his vision that makes us discover something fresh and original almost every time. The latest release of Tintin helped me to make peace with this widely acclaimed director that got on my nerves with his latest releases. The moralistic messages of his films and the lack of sensibility of some of his subjects and/or the hypocrisy of their treatment pissed me off.
However, when I look back at his better films I can not do anything but applause and remember myself how like his better work. Just hum the theme song for Indiana Jones and I will immediately have images of the hero for days. Who can't quote a line from Jaws? What is the only other (other than black and white even if they aren't colors 'cause they're black and white) color in Schindler's List?
I know it is a controversial list but it is my personal appreciation of Spielberg's oeuvre so far.
1. Jaws (1975)
2. Duel (1971)
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
6. Jurassic Park (1993)
7. Schindler's List (1993)
8. Catch Me If You Can (2002)
9. Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)
10. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)
11. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
12. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
13. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
14. Minority Report (2002)
15. Munich (2005)
16. Hook (1991)
17. War of the Worlds (2005)
18. The Terminal (2004)
19. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
20. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull (2008)
Films I haven't seen: The Sugarland Express (1974) 1941 (1979) The Color Purple (1985) Empire of the Sun (1987) Always (1989) Amistad (1997) War Horse (2011) Lincoln (2012)