2010-03-20

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson, 2009)

-->
First of all, I must say that I am a 100% a fan of the work of Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach. I remember seeing The Royal Tenenbaums how the kitsch off-beat indie naive charm label of the film got me and how with multiple viewings it’s becoming one of my favourite film of all time. I also remember when I discovered The Squid and The Whale, I didn’t expect anything... It was the story of my family and at the time I saw it, The Squid and the Whale deeply touched me and it’s why you find it in my Top 5 of the last decade.
I was looking forward for Fantastic Mr. Fox, especially when TSPDT put it in their highly recommend films (btw the first of W. Anderson’s films). This is the story of Mr. Fox (George Clooney) who swore to his loving wife, Felicity (Meryl Streep) to stop stealing from the humans and get a real job. For 12 years, he made it but the temptation and the emptiness of his new life of columnist brought him to secretly restart his activities until the humans discovers his felony and try to catch him.
On the story level, Anderson and Baumbach were adapting a child novel. But many main themes that are recurring in Anderson’s filmography: the failure of the father figure, the wonder child that tries anything to impress and be accepted by his dad are present here. I’m just afraid that Anderson is gonna get the critic of always redoing the same film over and over like Woody Allen had the same criticism. His stories are charming so as the characters but I’d like to see another of film from Anderson even if I had a really good time watching Fantastic Mr. Fox.
I read some critics when Fantastic Mr. Fox came out that it wasn’t a family film, I think this is so a family film because the animations are made with stop motion something very different from the 3D family films abounding. Well, it’s no surprise coming from Wes Anderson the more kitsch filmmaker out there. It has a unique charm and feeling into it. I truly recommend this film to anyone with or without children.
A Film review by Michaël Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...