2010-05-02

Top 5 of 1983 aka The Year I Was Born

Taking from a MEME I've seen this year on some Blogs I've dig through my film memories to try to find all the films I've seen that were made in 1983 aka the year I was born. Well, the first I've seen from this year is without a doubt The Return of the Jedi directed by Richard Marquand(!?!), by automatic mistake we always think it's from George Lucas, it's mostly but he's not credited as the director. I remember the first time, and I'm pretty sure it was the only time, I've seen The Return of the Jedi; my dad and I rented it with the two other episodes on a hot rainy saturday evening of the 1990's...

Well, cinematic memories are very important and I think the context of the viewing of a film is very important to appreciate it. The rest of my family, my brother was too to stay up until the third movie of the evening and he isn't as a cinephile as we are so is my mother. I'll always remember those evenings of watching movies with my dad, as long as I can remember we were fans of the Back to the Future the trilogy, Tom Hanks & Chevy Chase comedies, every Spielberg picture around and every action movies too. Well before passing judgments you have to remember that I was around 8-12 years old at the time...

Now you're thinking why does he talks about all those childish memories? First of all, I don't want to brag or anything but it's been three years since I haven't seen my father, it relieves me to talk about it, but mostly because my number one spot is Andrei Tarkovsky's Nostalghia.

Below you will find my long awaited Top 5 films of 1983, starting from number 5 to number 1, I will post reviews of these films each week before my birthday and the final review, the number 1 of this list Nostaghia, will be posted August 2, which is my birthday by the way.


1. Nostalghia (Andrei Tarkovsky)



2. Videodrome (David Cronenberg)

3. The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese)

4. Scarface (Brian De Palma)


5. Vivement Dimanche! (François Truffaut)
Not yet included: Prénom Carmen (Jean-Luc Godard)


The ones I want to see that may change the order of this list:
Zelig
(Woody Allen)
L'argent
(Robert Bresson)
Rumble Fish
(Francis Ford Coppola)
The Right Stuff
(Philip Kaufman)
Sans Soleil
(Chris Marker)
Pauline à la plage
(Eric Rohmer)

...and your suggestions for 1983!

Michaël Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...