2012-02-27

Top films of Andrei Tarkovsky by LMdC


This master of contemplative Cinema, divide film lovers in his admirers and haters. The naysayers will rightly say that his films are dull and slow paced even more than Carl Th. Dreyer. However, he is knowed for his Science-fiction masterpieces Solaris (1972) and Stalker. His style is a perfect fit for this genre that greatly is influence by his superb framing and long shots. Influencing from Bela Tarr to Lars Von Trier up until Steven Soderbergh and his ok remake the mark of the Soviet filmmaker is palpable in many films.
Here is my personal top of his oeuvre:

1. Nostalghia (1983)
2. Solaris (1972)

3. Stalker (1979)
4. The Mirror (1976)
5. Andrei Rublev (1966)
6. The Sacrifice (1986)
7. Ivan’s Childhood (1962)

4 comments:

  1. I've seen Stalker. I would say that it is best to think of it as allegory rather than as science fiction. Going in expecting the latter may lead to some disappointment at the climax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great film with deep meaning I guess. It is in my films to watch this year. I'll get back with a review as soon as I watch Stalker.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...