2015-09-25

1000th Post : Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Myself and Let the Words Do the Talking

1000th Post : Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Myself and Let the Words Do the Talking

Over the time, the reviews, the blogathons, the posts, the comments, and the stats my main blog Le Mot du Cinephiliaque has evolved as my escape from my everyday life. At first, it was a place that helped to write about my passion for films. Then, my obsession with lists, tops, and blogging has become my main motivation.

When I started, I wanted to be the cool kid with the most popular blog, to win Lammies, have more and more traffic, and more followers, etc. But that vanished and I discovered that I am the blogger that I am. Which is pretty much like myself; I like to know everyone but I don’t need to be friends with everyone. I like to have close friends that I will treat with respect and love. There are a few of those blogging friends that stick around and I’m sure they’ll recognize themselves when reading those lines.



Some are gone and seem to have left their blogging ships but I must mention a few : Bonjour Tristesse, John from The Droid You’re Looking For, Squish from Filmsquish. I miss you guys and I hope the best in your new adventures. I do know that Squish is now a part time artist and sells some of his art. But the other two are absent from my social media circles and I would gladly be interested in knowing how they do.

You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do

Blogging can be pretty time consuming and keeping a good pace is very difficult and I also have to admit having not been there with consistency. However, I’m trying with my day job, my wife, my baby girl, my black Labrador, and some physical activity to find some time to watch movies and write about them. Lately, I’ve been writing more about music because I’m listening to music all the time and it is easier to write a few hundred words on a new album that I particularly liked. It keeps me afloat and critical while I share another interest of mine : music.
Le Mot du Cinephiliaque is a strange blog name and since I first started writing both in French and English I wanted some name that would mix both languages but also be true to my French Canadian/Québécois origins. Speaking of that, my level of English has risen and I’m proud to be able to express my ideas and views in a second language.
Another element that makes me proud is the three times that I hosted The Most Influential Directors of All Time poll. A list now used as a reference by our peers at They Shoot Pictures Don’t They? I had responses by many film bloggers but also serious film critics like Jeffrey M. Anderson, Kevyn Knox, and many more.

Badges? We Don’t Need No Stinky Badges!

Through the years I submitted to join the Online Film Critics Society, the Classic Movie Blog Association, and a couple of closed set clubs. Well, I got refused at almost all the closed circles I asked membership. Except for the Largest Association of Movie Blogs and the now on hiatus 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die blog Club. However, as fun as those were I think that I was more interested in the recognition of those clubs more than the actual challenge it would bring me. I like to blog freely and about whatever I want. Mandatory blogging stops being fun and let’s face it, it’s my own time and I ought to do it like I want it. By this, I don’t disrespect those platforms but I’m okay being on my own.

What’s Next?

Well for the next 1000 posts there’s the upcoming Winter Sports blogathon from December 1 to 4. Then, the Oscars season will bring a couple of more recent movie reviews. Continuing is my ever lasting quest to watch the 1000 greatest movies of all time that list be as well updated with the 2016 edition.

I will be active in the blogathon department since it has been my main activity lately and I sincerely love it. I’m always trying to mix my quest with the blogathons I join and it is a nice way to force myself into some movies that at some point I had to watch but wasn’t really pushed toward. It helps to bring me out of my comfort zone and explore a wider scope of films than my usual favorite directors and genres.

Some Blindspots

A post wouldn’t be complete without a list of some films that I have to watch to call myself a film connoisseur. Here is a list of blindspots I’ll have to watch before the 2000th post of this blog :

L’Eclisse
Mouchette
Dekalog
Breaking the Waves
The Crowd
The Life of Oharu
Werckmeister Harmonies
Red Desert
Doctor Zhivago
All That Jazz
Sans soleil
The Mother and the Whore
The Spirit of the Beehive

I’m also adding to that a couple of Cult films since I recently joined the Cult Film Club :

A Better Tomorrow (1986)
Akira
Alice
Audition
Code Unknown
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
Crumb
El Topo
Empire
(1964)
Get Carter (1971)
Gummo
The Holy Mountain
Mad Max 2
My Own Private Idaho
Naked
Pink Flamingos
Withnail & I
Yellow Submarine

To conclude this 1000 words post about 1000th post on this blog, I would like to thank my wife that supported me even in the most difficult times when feedbacks and comments were sparse and the motivation was absent. I also want to thank anyone who takes the time to read my reviews, click and comment on the blog your presence give me the extra strength to pursue and get better everyday. Your writings also are an inspiration and the blogs I read and follow, which is not enough if you ask me, are inspiring and devoted to the same passion of writing about films and our personal interests.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...