2010-07-05

Is it worth a 25th Hour?

25th Hour (Spike Lee, 2002)


This film split critics on two sides, some loved it others hated it. I didn't knew what to think about it for a while aftger seing it. At first , I thought I would have liked it, but to me the message of the film was too dumb and too simple to me. I'm not a big fan of Spike Lee's films either. I hated Do The Right Thing, found Malcolm X ok, and liked The Inside Man.

Monty Brogan is going to jail for possession of Cannabis. This is his last day as a free man. He wants to see his friends, his father, his girlfriend whom he suspects she might have given the cue to the cops... This film is a post september-11 reflection of the American society. All its fears and all its hate is condensed in that film. Everything evolves around the way the life of Americans changed on that day.

At some points the film wants to be more than what it is. With the many pompous references: A Clockwork Orange is omni-present here and not in a good way, and all the skills Lee doesn't handle to make this film a tight story that could have been better in master's hands.

A sequence that annoyed me the most in 25th Hour was the dream at the end of the film. I don't like to spoil so I won't write what is it about but I think the film was too long for what it has to present and tell.

A review by Michaël Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...