On Canada day I’ve decided to bring you the 10 best Canadian films of all time by the critics of the Toronto International Film Festival of 2004. This poll has been done since 1984 every ten years and the number one film, Mon Oncle Antoine has been number one ever since.
As you may notice there are many films from the previous lists of the best films of the Province of Quebec, well six out of ten are from Quebec it means that the contribution has been very prolific and represents a lot of the great films made in Canada.
1. Mon Oncle Antoine (Claude Jutras, 1974)
2. Jésus de Montréal (Denys Arcand, 1989)
3. Goin’ Down the Road (Donald Shebib, 1970)
4. The Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan, 1997)
5. Atanarjuat (Zacharias Kunuk, 2001)
6. Dead Ringers (David Cronenberg. 1988)
7. Les Bons débarras (Francis Mankiewicz, 1980)
8. Les ordres (Michel Brault, 1974)
9. Le déclin de l’empire Américain (Denys Arcand, 1986)
10. Les invasions barbares (Denys Arcand, 2003)
What do you think of the list? How many have you seen? Which ones?